Bullying has been in the headlines for many years now... but when is it going to stop? I blame the adults. Yes, I do.
- I blame the teachers who are so busy, they have no idea what's going on behind their backs.
- I blame the lunch supervisors who don't know what to look for.
- I blame the parents who are too busy to know that their child is a bully or being bullied.
- I blame the parents who allow their children to engage in online activity but rarely monitor it.
- I blame the adults who are too afraid to be an advocate and a voice for the children in their lives.
- I blame the adults who have neglected to teach children the appropriate way to express themselves.
- I blame the adults who advise children wrongly when bullying is brought to their attention.
- I blame the adults who are poor role models for children... the ones who participate in slander and gossip.
- I blame the adults who don't take a strong stand against bullying.
- I blame the adults and policy-makers who do not put enough effort and funding into anti-bullying strategies and programs.
- I blame the adults who have neglected to give children a strong moral and spiritual compass.
I wish I could give this boy a hug and show him that he is loved... that he is worthy... that he is special and that he is a gift and a blessing to others. But all I can do is take the time to encourage the adults out there to be responsible... to look for signs of bullying and to deal with it swiftly and effectively. The children, our children, your children, are counting on you... they shouldn't have to make a video like this to get our attention.